AdWords offers a financial lifeline for many businesses, big and small. Finding helpful ways to manage PPC networks (i.e. AdWords and Adcenter primarily) are few and far between. Sure, there are many consultants out there a lot more than ready to cut into your profits, but the minimum contracts and fuzzy promises probably have kept you from taking the bait.
While there are certainly many AdWords PPC “celebrities” on the market who may have oversaw PPC campaigns of either great size or number, I struggle to imagine anyone who has poured the ceaseless daily hours over the past 7 years as I have. Toiling over how to refine and optimize campaigns, ad groups, etc. to get also a.5% improvement has become my well being as it directly correlated to the size of my paycheck and success of our own business. There hasn’t been one person at Google and out Google that has successfully provided a suggestion or found a chink inside my structure, yet there has been many people who have said “wow- I never thought of accomplishing that before”.
So when it comes to giving AdWords tips for those who contact me for ideas, 10 away from 10 times I will claim that their problems stem in one of 5 issues.
1. Poor account structure – Structure doesn’t take into account like products, demographics, network, or geography.
2. Mismanaged or under-managed bidding – Google AdWords can make it really easy for individuals to get lulled into default bids, AdWords despite its efforts at automating needs active management.
3. Not enough ad testing for Ad text – Ad text optimization is really a tricky business. In addition successful ads become less successful over time, the criteria and binding the website landing page is critical – even more so in 2011 than in the past as quality score is playing a big part in a campaign’s profitability.
4. Poorly mined keywords – Keywords would be the currency that makes PPC work. AdWords provides great tools for researching keywords, unfortunately, they are fragmented. Besides CTR, cost/conv., impressions, match type and clicks; there are elements such as assists, search funnels, negatives, ROI, view-through conversions. These less understood elements are exactly what makes AdWords profitable and accounts need constant assistance to optimize.
5. AdWords not aligned with website landing page – Not everyone is a graphics designer, me included, but there are basic approaches which everyone is able to take to enhance your conversions. Bear in mind a solid CTR x strong Website Landing Page = maximum conversions.
Getting conversions profitably isn’t quite as simple as Google leads one to believe, but in case you are diligent and actively manage your campaigns, considering the account structure, bidding, ad testing, keyword mining, and landing page optimization I can guarantee you will end up on the road to recovery. AdWords guidance is only an e-mail away.
PPC optimization is imperative to sustain success using Adwords. Here we touch upon many strategies to optimize your campaigns for better profitability.
Understand Keyword Match Types
Although an elementary concept in Pay Per Click advertising, understanding keyword match types is vital to reach your goals. Google stops working keyword match types in three primary ways: Broad, [Exact], and “Phrase” match.
In Google search, a wide match could times be extremely broad. As an example, for any keyword phrase like “Kids military uniforms,” under the broad match setting, your ad may be triggered for searches like “childrens army suit” or “youth navy uniform.” In essence, broad match is extremely broad, so ensure you really know what you’re engaging in if you wish to leave your keywords as broad (without “quotes” for phrase match or [brackets] for exact match.)
Using exact keyword matching by surrounding the keyword phrase in brackets will make sure that your ads are just triggered when search engine users submit that exact phrase, and absolutely nothing else. By using exact xrnyuh matching, you are able to better minimize wasted impressions from broad searches and reduce budget-sucking click-throughs.
Because exact phrase match might neglect to display your ads for searchers which you actual do want to capture, a fantastic alternative is utilizing modified broad matching. Modified broad is just placing a ” ” symbol directly in front of each keyword (without space) that you would like specifically mentioned in a user’s search query. The ” ” symbol ensures that this word, and merely very close variations (like plural and singular variations) are what trigger your ads. Therefore if we bid on the keyword ” kids military uniforms” our ad is still displayed for search queries like “kid military uniform” or “kids military uniforms available for sale,” not “childrens navy uniform.”